<< Back to all Blogs
Login or Create your own free blog
Layout:
Home > A few more job complications
 

A few more job complications

May 15th, 2009 at 08:29 am

Its raining cats & dogs outside, a good day to get into a blog and organize whats on my mind.

I recently posted my concern for a job offer paying below my worth. Well-the plot thickens.

I decided to have a discussion at the end of the week and explain my value and ask for more money. I decided to walk away if I don't get $13.00 hr.

Then yesterday morning I got a phone call. The call is from a local university about a job I reaaallllyyy want and would be perfect for. I had applied for the job weeks ago, but university bureaucracy- everything takes forever.

The university is starting up a masters in business program in the fall and will need an enrollment counselor to talk with students, sell the program and handle the paperwork. The woman asked me my pay rate and I boldly told her I need $15 per hour and she said that was no problem. We talked further and she said she will be in town conducting interviews in June, and hopes to have the position filled in early July.

I REALLY want this job. It's right in line with previous work I have done, continuing education is an industry I like, and I would be getting in at the ground floor of a huge University program. And it pays well! And BB plans to start finishing his college degree in the fall and I wonder if I might get a discount for him...or maybe a free education for him.

So now the question is what to do. I start the office job tomorrow. The university will not be interviewing for 2 weeks, or fill the position for 6 weeks.

Do I continue with my plan to raise my pay at the office even though I am hoping I will be providing my 2 weeks notice in 4 weeks? Do I work at the office for $10 hr for the next few weeks, then negotiate a higher pay in 4 weeks if I do not receive the University position?

I do want to work for the next few weeks while waiting on the University thing to pan out. But I also know I might not get the University job no matter how much I think I am perfect for it. I don't want to screw over this new/current employer, but do want to take the University job if it is offered. What should I do?

7 Responses to “A few more job complications”

  1. debtfreeme Says:

    Yes you continue with your plans. If the Uni interview turns out into a job offer then you leave. You need to do what is best for you and taking this job, however short or long term you work, is a good thing.

    Renegotiate at the time when you begin the full time position, after showing them that week that you can do the job. Look out for yourself as now one else is. And i would not feel bad leaving that other job. You walked in and he saw the potential you bring and offered you a job he had not even advertised for. It is not like you took the job from someone elses hands.

  2. monkeymama Says:

    Agreed. I would just continue with the job and use your gut. At least you will be making some money and have a paying job if the university one does not pan out.

    Good luck on the University job!

  3. toyguy1963 Says:

    Good luck. I'm not sure what I would do in your situation but definately go fo the University job.

  4. ceejay74 Says:

    I agree too. Employees have very few powers over employers, but this is one you do have--you can totally ditch a job after a week, and you can actively be looking for better jobs even as you accept one somewhere.

  5. tynana Says:

    Wise saying "A bird in the hand in worth two in the bush." I just took at part time job at half of the hourly salary I used to make. I love this job so much I don't care what the pay is. Sometimes what we want is not what we need.
    Good luck with whatever decision you make.

  6. Apprentice Bliss Hunter Says:

    Good Luck on the Uni job !

  7. whitestripe Says:

    i wouldn't feel too bad about leaving - this is a time where it's hard to GET jobs, because there are so many people that are unemployed. he will have the position filled within days of you giving notice.

Leave a Reply

(Note: If you were logged in, we could automatically fill in these fields for you.)
*
Will not be published.
   

* Please spell out the number 4.  [ Why? ]

vB Code: You can use these tags: [b] [i] [u] [url] [email]